The Solar Schools Program is based around funding offered by the Australian Government Department of Climate Change and Energy. Grants of up to $50,000 are available to schools to install clean energy technologies such as:
- Energy efficient lighting
- Ceiling fans
- Shade awnings
- Automatic doors
- Solar energy systems
- Rain water tanks
To be eligible for the grant up to the full $50,000 schools must install solar power (2kW minimum capacity).
Wind Turbine Electricity Generation
Wind Turbines are approved under the NSSP, and can attract up to $30,000. If your school is in a reliable wind area a wind turbine may prove a very valuable addition to your renewable energy system. It is rare for a wind turbine to be the sole renewable source in a system as wind is not always reliable and most are complemented by solar modules. To determine whether a site is suitable for a wind generator, the amount of wind over a long period (a year at least) must be known. To test the site using wind measuring devices over that length of time is too time consuming – you will need to know the suitability of the site much sooner. Use local knowledge as much as possible. The wind speed data from the nearest weather station will be of great help to you. Record wind data at your selected site over a shorter period (e.g. one month) and compare this to the data from the weather station for the same period. If your site has more wind than the weather station for that month then it will almost certainly have more wind all the time.
Energy Management System
A compulsory requirement of the installation is a smart meter and display. This, combined with the renewable energy system is a fantastic educational tool.
Solar Hot Water
Solar Hot Water is also an approved item under the National Solar Schools Program, and can attract up to $30,000 in funding. Installing a Solar Hot Water System is one of the most effective steps any school can take to decrease their carbon footprint.
Once you have checked that your school is eligibile contact us to provide you with:
- A site visit and energy audit to help you plan your project and to establish the systems most appropriate to your needs and location. Our advisor would be happy to address the class if you would like.
- A detailed quote in line with the budget components of the Program claim form.
- A Guarantee to complete your project within the three months required by Program.
- Advice and assistance with any approvals and permits required.
- Assistance with your project completion report and funding acquittal (installation report, photographic record and tax invoice).
- A full point of sale discount based on the Solar Credits and Renewable Energy Certificates (RECS).
Contact a Pyramid Power representative today to discuss your project.